Police: Smoking in bathroom caused school fire
OCONTO, Wis. (AP) – Police say a student smoking in a bathroom caused a fire that resulted in an estimated $5 million in smoke damage at Oconto High School. After reviewing surveillance video and interviewing students and staff members, Oconto police have identified as 16-year-old student as a person of interest. Firefighters interviewed the student, who said he left class early and went to the bathroom, where he smoked a home-rolled cigarette. Police believe the cigarette was used too close to a toilet paper dispenser, causing an accidental fire. No one else used the bathroom after the boy. The April 16 fire forced the building to be evacuated. Students returned to class Monday at Oconto Middle School. WLUK-TV (http://bit.ly/1lJIFZH) reports the boy is being referred to the Oconto County Department of Human Services.
Information from: WLUK-TV, http://www.fox11online.com
Comments are closed.