(Mauston, WI) — U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Wisconsin Farm Service Agency (FSA) Juneau County Executive Director Jon Williams reminds agricultural producers that July 15, 2014, is the deadline to file an acreage report for spring seeded crops. Planted acres must be reported to FSA by July 15, 2014.  The Agricultural Act of 2014 (2014 Farm Bill) requires producers on a farm to submit annual acreage reports on all cropland. “Although some federal farm program enrollments have not yet started, timely acreage reports for all crops and land uses, including prevented and failed acreage that producers submit to their local FSA office, are important to ensure program eligibility,” said Williams. Acreage reports to FSA are considered timely filed when completed by the applicable final crop reporting deadline, which may vary from state to state. Perennial forage crops intended for grazing or haying were required to be reported last fall, whereas perennial forage crops with an intended use of cover only, green manure, left standing, or seed, must be reported by July 15. Most producers were sent post cards with appointments already scheduled for them to give their crop report.  However producers are strongly encouraged to pick up their maps prior to their appointment and have them completed with the crops and planting dates entered.  Reporting farm changes prior to the appointment also speeds up the process.   Producers need to call to reschedule if they can’t make or miss their scheduled appointment.  Acreage reports must be filed prior to July 15th to avoid late filing fees. Producers should contact their county FSA office if they are uncertain about acreage reporting deadlines. Williams said that failed acreage must be reported before the disposition of the crop and that prevented acreage must be reported within 15 calendar days after the final planting date for the applicable crop. For questions on this or any FSA program, including specific crop reporting deadlines and planting dates, producers should contact their county FSA office or seek information online at www.fsa.usda.gov.   Producers in Juneau County should call (608)847-7221 Ext 2. For more information, visit www.usda.gov/farmbill.

Contributed by Jon Williams